Despite improvements in the numbers of pupils leaving Diamond with the nationally agreed skills in mathematics in 2015 we remained significantly below national. In September 2015 we decided to introduce a new approach to teaching mathematics called Singapore Maths.
The Singapore method of teaching mathematics develops pupils’ mathematical ability and confidence without having to resort to memorising procedures to pass tests – making mathematics more engaging and interesting.
Features of Singapore Maths:
- Emphasis on problem solving and comprehension, allowing students to relate what they learn and to connect knowledge
- Careful scaffolding of core competencies of :
- visualisation, as a platform for comprehension
- mental strategies, to develop decision making abilities
- pattern recognition, to support the ability to make connections and generalise
- Emphasis on the foundations for learning and not on the content itself so students learn to think mathematically as opposed to merely reciting formulas or procedures.
So far we are encouraged by the impact the new approach to mathematics is having on the outcomes for pupils. Pupils certainly enjoy the lessons.
If you would like further information please contact our mathematics lead, Mrs. Cynthia Law.